The Family

The Family

Monday, January 18, 2010

Stomach Bugs and All That Stuff

What day is it? What time is it? Where am I?

Uhhh, I just emerged from the land of baby sickness. And it wasn't pretty. Three full days of endless of tears and endless other bodily fluids that need not be mentioned. All I can say is this was yet another reason why I hate having white carpet. What was the original homeowner thinking? If I could just give her a piece of my mind...okay, okay back to the subject. Cale woke up on Saturday, a very grumpy boy. The grumpiness just continued to increase as the day progressed. He wouldn't eat, which was very strange for him. Then, by that evening it all fell apart. Carl and I were just going to bed, when we heard the first cry. To Carl's disappointment, it was his turn to be on nighttime baby duty. So, I snuggled up in my bed, smiling and thanking God that I am such a good scorekeeper when it comes to baby duty. But as it seems with every night off, something happened. Carl yelled for me and when I walked in and Cale was vomitting... everywhere...white carpets and all. Our poor little guy, he was so miserable.

We got him all changed, cleaned up, and settled down. Just when I was putting him back in bed, it began, round two. So, I changed the sheets, Cale's clothes, my clothes, and attempted to calm Cale down again. We were running out of bed dressings because in trying to get ahead on moving, I'd already packed up most of the extras. So, Cale was down to a living room blanket covering his mattress and a pillow, minus the case. Pathetic, I know. This was the way the whole weekend went. But, to make matters worse, I began feeling sick on Sunday. This was the first time that Cale and I have been sick at the same time. Moms must have super powers. It is so hard trying to console a screaming, miserable baby when you're sick too. But somehow you just push through it because your baby's comfort is more important than your own.

Of the whole long weekend, today, Monday, was the worst. When I left school on Friday, I was excited about my three-day weekend. I was hoping to go to the gym and get a little packing done on my extra day off. I ended up taking Cale to the doctor, finding out he did indeed have the stomach bug that had been going around, finding out that real fussiness was from the fact that the tubes he had put in about a month ago were completely clogged and not working, then holding Cale's arms down while he got another shot, and finally taking my sweet, miserable little baby home to cry for the rest of the day.

Ahhh, it's all in a day's work.

It wasn't a fun weekend, but the worst part was seeing our favorite little boy in pain. Thank goodness for grandmas. My mom is keeping Cale tomorrow morning and Carl's mom is keeping him in the afternoon. Hope they know what they're in for. I'm actually very excited about going back to school tomorrow. And it's even cafeteria duty and faculty meeting day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Poor Cale...and poor Mommy! Hope you are both feeling better. I really like that whole night time baby duty switch off idea...wish I had made that a requirement in my marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby (and mommy) We were both all sick and your right, you just gotta push through. Malachi was running 103.5 for 3 days. And then it just went away. Dr. doesn't know why. The week before that he had a respiratory virus. sigh I hate when they are sick cause they can't tell you what hurts. Glad you are feeling better. Hope Cale gets better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete