The Family

The Family

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thanks to a surprise snow day yesterday, today was officially the first day back to school since the break. I got up at 5:45, as planned, and was completely showered, dressed, fed, and ready to go by the time Cale woke up! (So far, so good on that New Year's Resolution.) So, my morning was calm and relaxed, just the way I'd hoped it would be. Carl, Cale, and I even managed to get out the door by 7:20...which doesn't happen often these days!

It was actually nice to be back at school. The routine of it all, the familiar faces of coworkers, the sweet faces of my kids. There were new haircuts, new clothes, glasses...a lot can change in two weeks. Overall the day was pretty uneventful. As uneventful as a day can be with cafeteria duty and inside recess. (shudder) Two of the most horrific things in a teacher's life. You finally finish cafeteria duty...the screaming, the yelling, the food spills...you can't wait to get to your quiet classroom to sit in peace and try and accomplish something with the rest of your barely existent break. And then you realize it. Actually you hear it. The sound is echoing as you come down the hallway. It's loud. It's crazy. It's wild. It's inside recess! So, I packed up my stuff and found an unoccupied room in the building to work. I'd probably work in the bathroom if I had to. That's the only way I keep my sanity on these days! :)

During science today, we were discussing how matter comes in 3 states. (I bet my sister is already laughing because she, the once-science teacher, knows that science is NOT my thing.) Anyways, after reading, the class helped me create a chart in which we brainstormed examples of solids, liquids, and gases. The lesson was going fairly well. The students seemed to be getting it and were actually participating. Then, we got to the last state of matter. Gas. I asked if anyone had an example of a gas. That question was followed by a real life example of flatulance. It was loud. It was nasty. It was the real deal. It was an example of gas. Now usually one of three strategies is taken by me after something like this happens. 1. I ignore it, while giving the evil eye to any gigglers or whisperers. 2. If number 1 won't work because the class is already roaring, then I give the..."It happens to all of us" speech. 3. Last, if someone is pointing a finger and placing the blame, I give the "He who smelt it dealt it" speech. But this time, for the first time ever, I did none of the 3 things. I did something unthinkable. I laughed. Really hard. I laughed until I almost cried. My laughing made the class laugh harder. Now before you go thinking I'm an awful teacher, the suspect was laughing also and openly claimed it, because the person knew there was no sense in denying it. How could I fault the kid for giving us a real-life example?

Now, I really thought this was an accident because even though the child was laughing, it seemed that it was not "planned". That was why it struck me as so funny. But, later I found out the student had meant to do it. That took a little of the hilarity away, but I must say I was a bit impressed. To muster up one with the strength and power of that, at the exact right moment? Pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment