The Family

The Family

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Don't Turn Me In....

Carl had to work today, so Cale and I were on our own again. I hadn't been to the gym all week and was really hoping to work out today, so I decided that I would bite the bullet and take Cale to Fit Kids at the gym. I don't know why I've waited so long. Cale goes to a babysitter each weekday and to the church nursery on Sundays, but for some reason I've been avoiding the daycare at the gym. I think it's the guilt of taking him to yet another form of childcare...especially on the weekend. I quickly got us both ready to go and we loaded up in the truck (Carl took my car today). I got Cale all buckled in and started the truck, but then went back inside to get the bottle of water I had forgotten. When I got back outside I went to open the truck door, and it was locked. Oh no, I was one of those careless people who locks their baby in the car! I'll probably be on the news! (yes, my over-reactive mind thinks things like this) I sure didn't remember locking it! I actually just at this moment realized what happened. Cale had been playing with the keys while I was buckling him in (it's a trick to keep the tears away) and I guess he had pressed the lock button. Now, my mind was already racing by this point because my one year old is inside a running truck, along with my purse, phone, etc. Luckily, I managed not to panic (I didn't want my neighbors to get suspicious!). I stood there a minute, then ran inside to our junk drawer. Ahhh, after a few seconds of searching, there it was. The extra key. The beautiful, wonderful, extra key. I was SO glad I didn't have to go to our neighbor's house, explain to them with shame what I had done, and borrow their phone.

Side story: One morning last summer Cale and I decided to see Carl off to work in the morning. We stood there waving as he drove off, only to realize with horror that he had shut the garage door. I tried running down the street yelling for him, but he didn't notice. Although, a neighbor who was getting in his truck did and I'm sure he thought it looked pitiful. Momma, with baby-in-hand, trying to chase her baby-daddy down, begging him to come back! Needless to say that neighbor quickly hopped into his truck and didn't offer to help. So bra-less me in my pajamas, with my baby in nothing but a diaper and t-shirt, trudged reluctantly to our 80-plus year old neighbors' house. They were so sweet and let me use their phone to call Carl. Cale and I just sat and chatted on their couch (I tried to hold Cale in front of me to hide the fact that I didn't have on a bra) I bet they were thinking, "hmmph, young people these days!"

Back to the current story. Cale and I made it inside the Fitness Center only to realize that Fit Kids didn't open for another 30 minutes. So, we drove around and ended up back home for a 'banana run' for Cale. When I got back to the truck with the banana, I noticed Cale looked different. He was all sprawled out, looking way too relaxed. Then, I realized that when I left the gym I had forgotten to buckle him in. No wonder he seemed so smiley and happy on the ride over. Wow, two stupid moves in a matter of about 30 minutes! I really will be on the news. I can hear it now: "Careless mom and teacher locks baby in running car and later forgets to buckle him in. Is this who you want taking care of your kids?" Hey, at least I'm not as bad as Britney Spears...I didn't drive with Cale in my lap. That's something to be proud of, right?

1 comment:

  1. OH my goodness!!! I have played over and over in my head what I would do if I ever locked Malachi in the car. LOL And see, in my head, I didn't even think about the spare key and maybe that's b/c I knew Nick would have it. But this is what I have thought, I'll just immediately start kicking in the windshield or if there is a rock near by I will throw it through the window. lol

    ReplyDelete