The Family

The Family

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rough Week...

So I officially am walking around on someone else's legs and feet. These elephant legs can't be mine! Oh, but they are. Each step I take gets harder and harder and I'm beginning to feel like my waddle has turned more into a limp by the end of the day. This week signified major swelling for me. I'm not sure why the swelling decided to get so much worse this week...maybe that means I'm near the end! Or maybe it's because school was out for a few weeks and this was my first week back. It's impossible to stay off your feet teaching and it's also impossible to prop your legs up. So, I guess I'll just have to deal with massive sore legs and feet for the next four weeks.

This week also signified major sleep issues for Cale (what's new, right?) Our poor little guy just can't sleep well for some reason. Every day this week, except Monday Cale has woken at about 4:00...and will.not.go.back.to.sleep. Last night it was 3:45. Carl and I had been searching for ideas on the Internet and talking to a few people, so we had somewhat of a plan of action. When Cale walked in our room, without saying a single word or giving him any ounce of attention we were going to take him back to his bed, shut his door, and wait. Well, luckily because I got up with Cale the first time he woke up at 12:30 (yes, he had already woken up once last night before teh 3:45 waking) Carl got out of bed with Cale at 3:45...not that I was able to go back to sleep. Over the course of the next hour and a half, Carl put Cale back in his bed 10 times. The next to last time, Carl decided to do something that I've been dreading, but knowing was probably near. He locked Cale's door. Those screams and cries for "momma" were so hard to listen to, knowing Cale was trying to open his door and couldn't. So, we laid there bed, trying to go to sleep at about 5:20 this morning. Then, after a few minutes, we heard the door open. It's like we have a baby escape artist that is more persistent than most adults. Somehow Cale had wiggled the handle enough that the door finally opened. Believe me, I felt pretty helpless at that moment because I realized our little two-year old is hard to defeat! So, Carl jumped up, took Cale back to his room, and by a miracle Cale finally gave up. I don't know if you would say we finally won. It was more of a cease fire. But, he actually went to sleep and slept until 7:15. Now, me on the other hand never slept another wink. It's hard enough to sleep while being this pregnant anyway, but once I'm awake for a few hours it's almost impossible for me to go back to sleep.

I don't tell these stories to whine or for sympathy...well, maybe a little. But, I tell these stories for all those parents out there who think, "Awww, I miss those days of having a little one!" or for all those parents who think their kids wake up early. Hopefully I have made you feel like things aren't so bad...they could always be worse! We're proof!

Sleep or no sleep, we wouldn't trade Cale for anything. We know there will come a day when we probably have to drag him out of bed to keep him from sleeping until noon. That day may be far away, but it will come...it will, right?

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you...I had a rough "mom night" the other night, too. After I finished crying & whining to my mom about how hard it was, etc. she said that she had just read your blog & that you had a rough night too. She reminded me that I'm not the only Mom out there that has it hard sometimes. So, thank you! Thank you for being so honest & letting others know that being a mom isn't perfect or easy at times, but it is worth it, and reminding us that there are other mom's going through hard times too!
    I sure hope Cale sleeps better tonight :)!

    ReplyDelete