The Family

The Family

Friday, January 14, 2011

It's starting to hit me that pretty soon I'm going to be the mother of two boys. Ever since I found out we were pregnant, I've been a bit nervous about the thought of having two kids to take care of. I mean, one two-year old pretty much wears me out so how do I handle a newborn and a two-year old? But, then I remind myself of all those people out there who have 2+ kids. They survived. Their lives seem somewhat normal. At least from the outside looking in. Surely we can handle it.

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment. After seeing my "sexy" legs, finding protein in my urine, and discovering my high blood pressure, my doctor told me I "was done". Bedrest for me. It was so crazy, driving home and thinking that for the next four weeks, I would not be working or making multiple trips to Wal-Mart each week, or cleaning house. Well, the doctor didn't actually say..."no cleaning house" but as far as Carl was going to know...he did! I was worried about how bedrest would work with a two year old who is used to taking piggy back rides on my back and pulling me in whatever direction he wants to go. But, I figured it would be okay because I could still take him to his babysitter each day and pick him up in the afternoon. Then it hit me how strange it would be to be at home each day without Cale to take care of. What would I do? Normally if Cale isn't home, I clean house, do laundry, and take care of all those chores that are near impossible to complete with a little one. So, what would I do now?

Well, by the time I got home from my appointment my doctor called to tell me that my bloodwork results showed low platelets. He told me that I would have to be admitted to the hospital for testing. Then, he said that if my platelet count was very much lower, I wouldn't be able to have an epidural. Suddenly my ears perked up. No, he didn't just say that, did he? The minute those words left his mouth, everything else he said began to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher, "Wah, wah, wah, wah..." I really have no idea what he said the rest of the conversation because I couldn't quite get passed the "no epidural" idea. I mean, I realize some people opt for no epidural. God bless them. I'm not one of those people. I'm into pain relief. I know there are other forms of pain relief that I can probably have, but I just don't think anything can compare with the pure bliss of the epidural. Come on platelets, go back up!

So, by tonight we'll know about my platelet count and we'll hopefully know if Keaton will be induced in the next day or two. Who knows, we may have our little boy by tomorrow. So, I guess now I'll just play the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment