The Family

The Family

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Big Brother

Cale's life has changed a lot in the past week and a half. He's gone from being the only "baby"...the one we spent every minute doting over...the one we talked about constantly...the one we dropped everything for to play tractors or go to the park...the one we missed so much when we were away from him...to being the "big brother"...the one who has to sometimes wait to get our attention...the one who doesn't look or smell like a "baby" anymore...the one who has to share Momma's lap during bedtime book reading because "baby brother" won't stop crying...the one whose diapers suddenly look like "adult diapers" compared to the newborn diapers we're putting on Keaton. This has to be a shock for the little guy.

But so far, he's adjusting much better than we expected. I really think Cale loves Keaton and he seems to understand that sometimes we have to give Keaton attention. Of course, we've been really careful to be extra playful with Cale to make sure he doesn't feel left out. Also, Cale has been going to Nonna's (his babysitter)during the day so when he's home Carl and I are usually both here to divide our attention. The first night we were home with both Cale and the baby, my parents stopped by to bring us dinner. While my dad was holding Keaton, Cale got a little rough with him. My dad told him a simple "no", which is something Cale hears very often from us. But, for some reason when other people, especially "Pop" say the "N" word, he melts down. Well, Cale started crying and then slapped Keaton in the face. We got onto him and told him he had to be gentle with baby brother. He screamed, "No, I not be gentle!" Needless to say, we were a little nervous about what the next few weeks were going to hold.

But, really that was the only incident Cale has had so far. Other than that, we've just had to remind him to be gentle/careful when he's holding Keaton. A young nurse gave us some good advice when we left the hospital. She has a 3-year old and a 4-month old. She suggested that we make sure we're careful not to mention Keaton's name when we're getting onto Cale or when we are telling Cale that we can't do something he's wanting us to do. For example, instead of saying, "I can't play tractors right now Cale because I'm feeding Keaton" just say, "I'll play tractors in just a minute Cale." We've been working really hard at doing this and I think it has helped. This way Cale won't begin to resent "Baby Keaton", as he calls him! Pretty good advice if you ask me!

It's like Cale has become funnier since we came home with Keaton. He's talking more than ever and is goofier than ever! He told us Keaton "smells like a dog" the other day. He just says whatever is on his mind...and he repeats anything we say (so scary). The other day, I, without thinking, said, "Oh crap!". A few minutes later as Cale was playing, something didn't go his way and of course he said, "Oh crap!" In that moment I was so glad that Carl and I don't curse. We would be in a world of trouble.

Also, a few days ago Cale came into the bathroom while I was in there. He walked over to me and said, "Mommy, you wear a diaper?" I panicked as I began to picture Cale telling random people that I wear a diaper, so I said the first thing that came to my mind: "No Cale, it's a band-aid." I figured that if he told people I had on a band-aid, they would have no idea what he really meant. Hey, cut me some slack, I don't think very quickly on my feet!

A few weeks ago while I was getting groceries, Carl took Cale to the toy section to kill some time. I know, this was a very risky thing to do with a 2-year old but I guess Carl was feeling brave. When it was time to go, Carl had to forcefully grab Cale up, because he wasn't going to leave the toys willingly. Cale got mad at Carl and after a few seconds said (in a loud enough voice that anyone nearby could hear), "You stink, Dad. You smell like poo-poo". I guess this was his first attempt at saying something mean. Apparently he repeated it several more times as they made their way to the frozen food section to find me.

I have a feeling that Cale will embarrass Carl and I many more times in his young life. Especially if he catches on to the fact that it makes us feel uncomfortable. And I have a feeling he'll figure that out before too long...then there's no stopping him!

2 comments:

  1. Love that advice from the young nurse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post! I know exactly what you mean about everything, my kids have asked if I "wear a diaper" too. I was laughing so hard at this, I had tearing rolling down my face! Its nice to know more people go through the same things that I sometimes feel so alone about! :)

    ReplyDelete