The Family

The Family

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Last night I was awoken by the sound of Cale's voice. It was a little eerie because he spoke so softly. He walked up to the bed and said, "Momma, I'm cold". So I pulled him into bed with us and he bundled under the covers. He was so still I really thought maybe he was going to fall asleep in our bed, which would be a first EVER. But, I knew it was too good to be true. Within a few minutes, he was asking to go back to his bed. He WILL not sleep with us...I guess because he never did as a little baby. I guess I should look at it as a good thing, but sometimes it would be nice. I took Cale into his room, which was actually quite cold. I guess he was telling the truth, poor little guy. I assumed he was making up an excuse to get out of bed.

It's so strange for Cale to be able to walk into our room at night. He's only done it a handful of times, thankfully. It seems like just yesterday that he was in a crib, unable to talk or roll over. Now, he gets out of my lap after we read a story, turns off his light, hands me his sippy cup for some more milk, and climbs into bed pulling the covers up under his chin. It's crazy how fast he's growing up. I actually don't like to think about it! I'm afraid he'll be 15 before I know it and I will long for these sweet toddler days. I will long for him to wrap his arms around my neck and beg me not to "leave him". I will long to be awoken at 5:30 AM by a smiling boy in pajamas who barrels into the room saying, "I wake up, Mommy! I wake up!" I will long to play tractors or trains just one more time (something that I get a little tired of lately). I will long to have Cale sit in my lap as I read The Little Engine that Could for the 20th night in a row. And I know I'll miss the way he grabs my mouth so I can't speak when it comes to a part he wants to say in the book. I know there will be great things about every phase of Cale's life, even his teenage years. But, I'm just trying to savor these sweet toddler moments for as long as they will last!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more!! They do grow up entirely too fast! Just the other night, I had this same thought. Here I am trying to get dinner cooked, laundry washed, housed picked up, and letting Lake play while I tried to "multi-task"...then he walks up to me and says, "Mommy, play soccer ball with me." My initial thought was, "no time to play "soccer ball" Lake, I've got a million things going right now." But I played instead...left the clothes in the dryer, and we had cold dinner, but soon he will stop asking me to play with him. Laundry and dinner will ALWAYS be there! ;)

    ReplyDelete