The Family

The Family

Sunday, December 19, 2010

I think Cale is starting to get a little antsy about Christmas. It's like we've been talking about it for so long and how Santa is coming to bring him some presents, he's now wondering why it's never happening. And he doesn't quite understand, "in a few more days". I haven't put any presents under the tree yet. Partly because I've been putting my wrapping off until Christmas break. And partly because I have been afraid of how Cale will react. Will he try to open the presents? Will he have enough self-control to wait?

Yesterday, Carl decided to wrap my gifts while Cale was asleep. Well, of course Cale woke up part-way through Carl's wrapping process. And of course he wanted to "help". He helped Carl wrap a few and then placed them under the tree. He then brought back a bag that Carl had already put under the tree. Carl explained that it was Mama's present. Cale, in the most pitiful voice, began crying and saying, "I not get a present. Cale not gonna get a present." He cried for several minutes as he repeated that he wasn't getting a present. I must admit I was seconds away from going to the attic and bringing down one of his gifts. But, I managed to refrain and stay strong. I know it's hard for him to understand the waiting and seeing packages that can't be opened until "later". I'm sure "later" seems like an eternity to a 2 year old. But, it will be worth it on Christmas morning. I haven't been this excited about Christmas since I was a kid, believing in Santa Claus. I absolutely can't wait to see Cale's reaction when he walks in on Christmas morning, sees the presents under the tree, and finally gets to open them!

No comments:

Post a Comment