The Family

The Family

Monday, November 22, 2010

Branson Trip

This past weekend, we made a trip to Branson with my family. We had been looking forward to this trip because it had been awhile since we'd had a vacation and also it was nice to visit Branson in cooler weather, instead of the smoldering hot summertime which we normally go in. One of the main reasons we decided to go this time of year was because we wanted to see the Christmas light display at Silver Dollar City. We thought Cale would really be able to enjoy everything "Christmas" this year. Before heading to Silver Dollar City, we went to get Cale's picture made with Santa at Bass Pro on the Landing. Cale wasn't too scared of Santa and he sat there like a good little boy complete with a solemn, unsure look on his face. But, no tears! When we got finished with the picture, we walked over to a holiday train exhibit that was set up in Santa's workshop area. Cale was instantly in love. The electric train drove through a snow covered village and made sounds. After a few minutes of watching, we tried to leave. Cale made it clear that was not happening. We tried again several times, but were unsuccessful. Finally, we just decided to tough it out. We told Cale we wanted to see the fish (we thought that was soften the blow of leaving the trains) When we got to the fish aquariam, Cale was still a bit cranky. I tried talking to him about the fish and saying things like, "Oooohh, look at that big catfish, Cale". But, I guess he's not a baby that can be tricked into things anymore. He put me in my place by saying, "Don't talk to me, Mama." That was the meanest thing he's ever said to me! I guess I better get used to it, because I'm sure that meaner words will come in the future.

After enduring dinner at Shorty Smalls...I say enduring because Cale was not exactly on his best behavior. Lack of sleep + No schedule + Cousins (who he loves, but he shows out for) = Naughty Cale :) We headed to Silver Dollar City. If you've never been at Christmas time, you're missing out. I don't think I've ever seen so many lights. It felt like we were walking through a village at the North Pole and as a kid I would have thought it was completely magical, I actually thought so now. The highlight of the night was the train ride. We had been telling Cale for days that he would get to ride the train at Silver Dollar City. He was completely infatuated with the ride, the sounds, the conductor yelling, "All aboard!". He was having fun until the train stopped in the middle of the ride. An old man with a white beard sat in a rocking chair and told the Christmas story. In the middle of his story Cale said rather loudly, "I don't like Santa Claus"...several times. The lady in front of us tried to explain to Cale that the man wasn't Santa Claus, but I'm not sure he believed her. Luckily, after a few minutes, the train began to move again and all was well with Cale. I think he will remember that train ride for awhile. He's been playing with his trains even more the past couple of days and his new favorite phrase is, "All aboard!". Cale says he wants Santa to bring him some more "choo choo tracks" for Christmas. Good thing Santa already has that covered! (Thanks to my sis for letting us borrow her train table and accessories for a few years) I can't wait to see Cale's face on Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment