The Family

The Family

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

And the Temper Rolls...

Cale's temper is becoming quite apparent lately. It seems to flair up most often when he gets frustrated while playing. As much as he loves, I mean adores to the point of obsession, his tractors, these are also the items that tend to usually be on the receiving end of his rage. On several occasions lately, Cale has become upset because his tractor wasn't cooperating as he felt it should. To make his ease his frustration, he's been chunking the tractor on the ground, several times in a row. And I mean hard. It's actually a little funny to watch because his tractors are literally his best buds yet he can turn on them on the drop of a hat, and down to the floor they are thrown as if they are trash.

Tonight, we sat on our bed watching Thomas the Train and playing tractors. Cale couldn't get his trailor to hitch onto the tractor like he wanted. All of the sudden his face got red, he clenched his teeth, he huffed and puffed a little...then, I guess because the floor wasn't easily accessible he decided not to chunk the tractor. He frantically leaned down, and for lack of a better punishment idea, he bit his tractor and then topped it off with a good "spanking". I'm sure that tractor learned his lesson. I couldn't help but laugh because it's so funny to see how Cale reacts to things as he gets older, even when his reactions are probably not the best. After a minute or two, Cale and his tractor were friends once again, as if the incident never happened.

I guess he got the spanking idea from me. No, not because I spank him all the time...even though he has gotten a few spankings in his little lifetime. But, whenever somthing hurts him, we "spank" it to make him feel better. He stubs his toe on the toybox, we spank it. His finger gets smashed by his tractor, we spank it. It may not be the best thing to teach an almost-two-year-old, but it usually stops his fussing instantly and the tears go away. It's called survival and sometimes it must be used in dangerous, scary, toddler jungle. If you've got kids, you know what I mean. If you don't, you will know one day.

I have a feeling we will have to work on temper issues quite often as Cale gets older. But, the older he gets the less funny it will be I'm sure.

1 comment:

  1. Malachi is definitely in a temper throwing stage. He will bow his back and fling his legs in ways I never thought were possible. Soemtimes its so much, I can't even spank him b/c by the time I get him still to swat him the fit is over. And now, when I am getting on to him I will just give him my "look" which use to work really well. But now, he just stares right back at me, not smiling, not batting an eye until finally he bursts with laughter which makes me laugh because I can't believe I just let a 2 year old beat me in a stare down contest. Oh the joys of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete