The Family

The Family

Sunday, June 27, 2010

A hungry, tired pregnant woman does not a happy home make!

My poor husband has been having to put up with a lot of...er...grumpiness lately. That's probably putting it mildly. I try to explain to him (almost daily) that he has no idea what I'm feeling, but I pretty sure he just hears the equivalent of Charlie Brown's teacher "wah, wah, wah...". He's getting used to my daily two-hour naps (I'm so ashamed to admit that, because I've never been a napper and usually get a lot accomplished while Cale naps. I don't think I napped even once when I was pregnant with Cale) but lately I just crash.

This afternoon, we had a neighborhood meeting with the other homeowners of Stonegate. We took Cale, which we knew was a mistake but...guess we're gluttons for punishment like that. Two hours later I was so worn out from chasing Cale all around that house, up the stairs, down the stairs, up the stairs, down the stairs, you get the picture. He never stopped except for about 15 minutes, when a train set captured his attention. The rest of the time, he was on the move and I was a nervous wreck. For some reason, he kept going into the people's master bedroom (people who we've only met once) and climbing up onto their bed and sprawling out like he owned the place. It was embarassing because everytime I took him off, he just kept going back! Also, he kept walking around with his hand down his pants...which is his new thing lately. I guess it's a boy thing.

I was so starving by the time we left the get-together. There was food, but I didn't eat any because Carl told me that I wasn't suppossed to bring anything...so I didn't. Then, I get there and everyone else had brought food. So, I was a little embarrassed to eat. When we left we headed, more like sped, down the mountain for good 'ole, "healthy", fast food. When we pulled into Arby's, I realized I had left my purse. And of course, Carl didn't have his cards. And of course, they wouldn't take checks. I felt my heart shatter and my stomach ache. Let me tell you, my emotional, hungry self just about started crying at this point. Carl was like, "What is wrong?" On the verge of tears I said, "I'm not going to get dinner!". Yeah, that's what being pregnant is like. Food, or lack thereof, is grounds for an emotional meltdown. Carl told me I was acting bipolar, but he just doesn't get it! So, we made the trip back up the mountain to get my purse and then I volunteered to go back down by myself to get the food. No, not because I'm just nice like that, but I knew I could eat in the car as soon as I got the food instead of having to wait until Carl got home with it. I thought I was dying by the time I got to Arby's. The 5-minute wait felt like an eternity. When the girl handed me the bag, she warned me that the fries were hot...but I didn't care. I think I had half the box scarfed down by the time I pulled out. Of course, by the time I got home, my food was gone and I was wishing I had another sandwich. I debated swiping some of Carl's food, but I knew he'd notice. But hey, at least I felt better. A full belly made me feel like a new woman. Well, at least for an hour or two until the next episode!

1 comment:

  1. i love this post - made me remember the pregnancy days. I remember waiting impatiently for Bobby to get home so that we could go out to eat and by the time he did I was like, "I'm sorry, I had to go ahead and eat." Men just don't understand the absolute necessity to get food no matter what the cost when you are pregnant. I would knock down old ladies, shove tiny children, or whatever it took to get to the food if they were in my way!! Ok, not really, but you know how it is!! And by the way I was MUCH more exhausted being pregnant with Tyn than with Tal.. so NAP away and don't feel guilty!!!!

    ReplyDelete