The Family

The Family

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

If Dreams Mean Anything....Then I Think I Might Be Crazy.

I'm not sure if I believe in hidden meanings behind dreams. Assuming researchers can interpret what a particular dream means seems a little far-fetched to me. But, if dreams do say something about our personality or our lives, then I just may need some help! It seems I rarely remember many of my dreams. Sometimes it seems likes weeks will go by without a dream at all. Even when I do have some recollection of dreaming, the events are usually so fuzzy that I can't make sense of anything. Ever since I was little I have done strange things in my sleep. I don't know if you would call it sleep walking, because I don't think that's what it is. But, I went through a phase in my life, around junior high, where I would wake up in the middle of the night and start getting ready for school. I can remember taking a shower, drying my hair, even putting on my makeup, before realizing that it was an hour in which I should still be sleeping, not up getting ready. Now why I woke up in the middle of the night and thought it was morning is beyond my understanding. Why when I looked at the clock, was I not able to comprehend that the time displayed did not say 6:00 am, but something more like 1:00 am? It seems like I did this once every few weeks. This went on for awhile and then suddenly stopped. Are you thinking I'm strange yet?

So now I'm past the...I don't know what you would call it...not "sleep walking", but more like "sleep-showering"! Unfortunatley when one strange habit ends, it seems another begins. These days I'm still waking up in the middle of the night every few weeks. But, it seems I'm waking up from some weird kind of dream that I never remember having. A few months ago, as my husband recollects, I suddenly sat up in bed and asked him about the animals that were in the room. Being the concerned husband he is, *sarcasm*, he told me that the animal was a big bear and that I needed to go back to sleep. A few weeks after that, I did the same thing, but this time I shot out of bed and frantically told him that there were six granddaddy longlegs on me. By this point, Carl wasn't even amused and simply told me to go back to sleep. I don't know what's with these animal dreams...

Last night, I don't remember anything but hitting the floor. As Carl tells it, I suddenly jumped across him in the bed, hit the footboard with some part of my body, and fell onto the floor. As soon as I hit the floor, I jumped up and breathlessly started asking him about "flying". Too bad I don't remember that dream...It must have been good. Carl got me to go back to sleep and then enjoyed telling me the details of my nighttime insanity when we woke up.

I may seem normal, during the waking hours. (or maybe not depending on who you ask) But in the middle of the night I take showers, I see bears, I "feel" mice crawl across me (didn't tell you about that one), I see exact numbers of grand daddy longlegs, and I have the ability to fly right out of the bed. Does that qualify me as crazy?

4 comments:

  1. LOLOLOL! That is too funny Lori. Maybe it's just that you are worn out or you are scared of animals and didn't know it. Maybe you should secretly video yourself so you can see if possibly Carl is trying to convince you that you are crazy.....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you are probably right on track with the Carl thing! That sounds like something he would do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) is it totally weird that i used to do the whole "sleep-showering" thing too? same thing, would wake up in the middle of night and think it was time to get ready for school really weird. carl should totally tape these dreams...that would be hiliarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now this all makes sense. I guess it was you who made me weird all along, Shasta!! I'm so glad I finally understand! ;)

    I think we were just weird together!

    ReplyDelete