The Family

The Family

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Toddler Bed

Well, tonight was a big night in the Kirtley household. Carl put Cale's toddler bed together and for the first time he's sleeping in a real bed. I've been nervous about this for a long time and for awhile I thought it would be nearly impossible. But, lately I've had a feeling that it might possibly work. Cale is pretty tired at night lately, and by the time he's taken his bath (and has thrown a fit about initially having to take a bath) he's usually ready for bed (unlike in the past). We decided with the new baby coming in February, it might be smart to try to start easing Cale into a regular bed now. So, after pondering and looking online, we finally ordered one. Cale was truly pumped as he watched Carl put the bed together. He giggled and giggled when he climbed in. Of course he had to take several tractors in the bed and even dumped his tub of legos in. I was afraid that he viewed this bed as more of a play area than a sleeping area, but at least he was open to the idea. After a few minutes of playing I persuaded Cale to take a bath. Persuaded means I let him take just about every toy imaginable into the tub just so that he would go happily without an ugly battle. And believe me, bath battles can get ugly, very ugly.

After his bath, Cale was focused on getting into that bed. The whole time I dressed him and read to him he kept telling me that he wanted to lay down. Finally, after we finished our book and said our prayers, it was time for the big moment. I put Cale under his blankets, with Spiderman on one side of his pillow, and his blue puppy on the other side. Surpisingly, he laid there. He didn't get up jumping or playing or following me as I left. He just laid there and drank his milk.

I know that initial success doesn't mean that the rest of the night will be great. But, it's a start. And to tell the truth, it's more than what I had imagined in my mind all those times I thought about taking Cale out of his crib. Now, ask me tomorrow morning and I may not feel quite so positive about it!

1 comment: