The Family

The Family

Sunday, June 26, 2011

10 hours + 2 kids...Need I Say More?

Well, we're back from Florida...and we survived. The last time we went to Florida, Cale was six months old. I remember thinking it was SO hard. He didn't do too well on the drive, he didn't like the beach AT ALL, and he didn't sleep well. Needless to say, we were a little nervous this year with two little ones. And Keaton is a much worse car-rider than Cale was at his age. Our strategy was to leave at 8:00 in the evening, in hopes that Keaton would sleep almost the entire ride. So, last Friday at 8:00, we loaded Keaton up...freshly bathed, fed, and in his jammies...and headed to Destin. We decided to let Cale ride with my parents because they weren't leaving until about 2:00 am and they were also taking his cousin Abree. Plus, Cale does not respond well to Keaton's screaming in the car. Our plan worked out better than I could ever have imagined. Keaton screamed for the first 20 minutes, then fell asleep. He slept for several hours, woke up to eat, and then slept until about 6:00 am when we were almost there! Too easy. Well, maybe not for Carl who did all the driving. I offered to help, but he doesn't trust my driving...especially in the middle of the night.

Cale arrived the next day and our vacation began. The first day, Cale was fearless. To the point of being a little scary. He ran into that water so fast, without ever hesitating. We couldn't believe it. But, he did hate the salt water in his eyes, which I had expected. By the second day, for some reason, Cale was more timid about the water. He would start to get in, but only stay a minute before getting out again. He spent most of his time running around on the sand, pushing his dump truck, and digging holes.

The beach, as I used to know it, has changed. Not so long ago, when I thought of the beach I pictured endless hours of laying out in the sun or under the beach umbrella reading a good book or napping. I thought of spending an hour primping and dressing up for nightly dinners where I actually got to sit and enjoy my food. I thought of going to bed late and sleeping in. Let's just say none of those things happened on this vacation. This vacation consisted of getting up at 6:00 am every day, spending 15 minutes getting the little ones all slathered with sunblock and ready for the beach, toting a two-year old, 5-month old, dump truck, sand bucket and shovel, blown up boat, towels, bottle of milk, and water down to the beach, toting the two-year old all the way back to the condo for bathroom breaks, bathing both kids after getting back from the beach, rushing to get a shower and throwing on some makeup before going out to eat, holding an infant as I clumsily tried to feed myself...you get the picture. Wow, things are much harder now. I'm tired just thinking about it.

But, it was so fun having our little family on vacation. The Kirtley fam is comlete and that's a good feeling. It was fun getting to see Cale's face when he saw the ocean for the first time, or the many air planes that flew overhead dragging banners advertising local attractions, or the parasailors, or helicopters. It was so fun carrying Keaton in a harness on the front of me as we walked through the Destin Commons mall (much similar to the Landing in Branson, but even more magical...especially at night). I loved riding on the train around the mall with Cale, two different times. This dinky little train was probably the highlight of the vacation for him. His face was priceless. I loved seeing Keaton asleep on his belly on a towel out on the beach. Besides his hate for car-riding and his constant need to be held, Keaton is such an adaptable little fella. He loved the ocean, didn't mind the sand, was content to be carried in a harness on the front of me for hours, was fairly easy to get down for naps, and slept pretty well at night in his pack-n-play. If he was being held, he was happy, one-hundred percent.

Cale had a blast at Florida also. He was quite tempermental, the opposite of Keaton. Cale doesn't do well with a lot of change...he likes routine. He started out the trip overtired from not sleeping well in the car, stayed up too late, and woke up too early each morning. So, little sleep was a recipe for a cranky little boy. But, he still had plenty of fun, happy moments. He like the beach, loved the pool, and had a blast playing with his cousins. When they weren't around, he would mope around asking about them. He and his cousin Kenzie spent much of their time playing The Three Little Pigs. One of them would lock themselves in a bedroom, and the other would stand outside beating on the door and saying, "Little pig, little pig, let me in" and then the other would give the proper reply. It was too cute. But, being two and three years old, they also had plenty of little arguments. 'Share' is a word that is not yet in their vocabulary.

A few weeks before we left, we started potty training Cale. We were a little worried that the trip would be hard on him and that he might relapse a little. But, he really did great. He even started going on his own. Like, walk into the bathroom, do his business without telling anybody, and then coming out to announce it to whomever would listen. But, since he's not a good aim yet, this usually resulted in a puddle on the floor and a wet toilet seat. And he refused to use any bathroom but my sister and brother-in-laws. Sorry guys. I had to bleach clean their toilet seat and floor on several occasions. Also, on the first day or two at the beach, we caught Cale trying to drop his swim trunks and relieve himself right there on the sand. Yes son, you do it at home but not here. Luckily we caught him in time.

On day two of the trip, we ate at a restaurant called Fudpuckers. It's a great place to go if you have kids. There is a small park, gift shop, and alligator exhibit for you to look at while you wait for a table. While we waited, Cale and his cousins got in line to hold an alligator. When we walked in the "alligator room" Cale was the first up. The alligator charmer, or whatever he was, asked if he should get a smaller alligator. The one he had was thirty-five pounds. Cale is about thirty pounds. Well, of course Carl (thinking this would make the picture even cooler) chimed in and said, "He can do it. This one will be fine". So, the man sat this big alligator in Cale's arms. Cale looked quite uncomfortable at first and even more uncomfortable when the alligator began to squirm, turned to look at him, and then hissed. I was quite uncomfortable myself. Carl stepped in to grab the alligator and the man went to get another, smaller one. When he came back in with the little alligator, Cale looking nervous said, "That's not a little one". We, in overly-excited voices said, "Cale, you get to hold this alligator for a picture!" He, replied in a not-so-excited voice said, "But, I already did." I don't think he wanted to give it a second try. But, even though he was nervous, he toughed it out and held it. I was proud of him. I'm not sure if I would have held another alligator after being hissed at by the first one.

We had a really good time on vacation, but we're glad to be home. I think this was probably the hardest vacation we'll ever have, with two little ones. I think it will probably get a little easier each year until finally the kids are going out to the beach by themselves and asking us to use the car to go to a movie. That makes me sad. Even though it will be easier then, I will totally miss my little boys. I need to soak up every hard, tiring moment. They will grow up way too fast.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a blast! We are leaving Friday to head to FL for our beach vacation...and as much as I want to daydream about a peaceful, relaxing beach vacation...I'm thinking your description is WAY more accurate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always so good to hear your stories b/c I think the same way. Oh, the days of relaxing & laying out on the beach. I'm sure our trip this year will be much more like your description of reality as well! I am scared to death about the car ride down there & back. I'm trying to talk Shasta into going with us so she can help entertain the girls, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete