The Family

The Family

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Well, yesterday it happened. I knew there was a strong probability that this would happen, I just didn't think it would be so soon; so soon that I would be distracted enough for Cale to get his hands on Keaton. Oh yes, he did. Yesterday afternoon, Cale was sitting in Keaton's baby swing...yes I know, he's much too big...he was sitting there in a Dora-the-Explorer-Trance. So, I set Keaton down in the bouncy seat in the corner of the room, just sure that Cale would never even notice him. I quickly ran to my room to change clothes. When I walked back in the room where Cale was suppossed to still be sitting enthralled with Dora, I found him standing up, at least 15 feet from Keaton's bouncy seat, holding noneother than his almost 3-week-old baby brother. My mouth dropped open and my stomach turned as I took in the view. Keaton's little legs were dangling, but somehow the way Cale was holding him was managing to support his head. It was a strange feeling to see someone so little holding someone even smaller. I quickly grabbed Keaton and tried to explain to Cale that he has to tell Carl or myself if he wants Keaton. He said, "I wanted to hold baby brother". Poor independent little guy, wants to do everything himself and just doesn't see any reason why he can't!

Then, this afteroon I caught Cale trying to feed Keaton Cocoa Pebbles. While I admire his wanting to share, I am now going to have nightmares of Keaton choking on who knows what that Cale might give him. I tried to explain the "no teeth=only milk" thing to Cale, but I don't think he quite understood.

I guess Keaton isn't safe anywhere except in our arms, locked in our bedroom, or in his bouncy seat/swing on top of the kitchen counter.

I'm going to have to be on my A-game at all times with these two. Let's just hope Daddy can be observant!

2 comments:

  1. This same thing happened to me with my two boys. Grayson picked up Bentley(at the time Grayson was 2 years old and Bentley a few weeks old), and carried him all through the house only to "bring" him to me. It happened 2 times in the span of 2 days. I was freaking out inside but managed to stay so calm on the outside because if I knew I said something before taking the baby, Grayson would drop him. It was the scariest thing. Grayson still tries to pick Bentley up (and now so does Teegan) but luckily nothing disastrous has happened yet. Surely we can make it to the 1 year mark without any broken bones, we're half-way there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to look forward too! So glad I'll have you as a reference.

    ReplyDelete