The Family

The Family

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My maternity leave is quickly winding down. What started out as eight long weeks, has suddenly dwindled down to 14 measly old days. It seems hard to believe that I'm about to go back to school soon. I'm going to trade in my eight hours a day with an innocent newborn for eight hours a day with 23 second graders. Well, second, third, and fourth graders on cafeteria and recess duty days. I shiver at the thought.

I guess a lot has happened in eight weeks. Keaton has already changed so much. He's beginning to stare at us, in a way that lets us know he can clearly see us, with this look of curiosity. He's starting to make noises that somewhat resemble baby coos, and is even flashing a smile or two every now and then...smiles that we're like 98% sure aren't to be blamed on gas, unlike the previous smiles of relief he's given us since he was born. Don't get me wrong, he still has plenty of gas. That boy is gassy 24/7. Let's just hope he grows out of that.

A lot has changed with me over the course of eight weeks as well. I finally feel good. Like, completely back to normal good. I've lost some weight. I would like to say I've lost all my baby weight but that would be a pretty hefty lie (no pun intended...okay maybe a little pun). Like...a twelve pound lie to be exact. And I'm pretty sure these twelve persistent pounds and I are gonna go round and round before it's over. I've been running, going to the gym, and P90X'n for goodness sakes (half-heartedly...but who can actually really stick to the P90X six days-a-week schedule...blah, not me). I've even been eating significantly smaller, kinda healthier, portions...trying to get the scale to drop. But my twelve-pound enemy just will not take the hint. Guess we'll just have to learn to live together for now. But, I'm vowing that this is just a temporary arrangement. By Florida this summer, she's got to go. No exceptions.

Cale is adjusting so well to his baby brother. He has never been even one little bit jealous as far as we can tell. And it seems that he genuinely loves his brother. When Cale hasn't seen Keaton for a few hours, his face lights up when he realizes he's near. Several times a day he can be spotted kissing Keaton on the head...okay, he also can be spotted driving a small tractor across Keaton's head often, but why wouldn't Keaton like that? I hear Cale tell Keaton that he loves him, several times a day. Melts my heart every time I hear it. No, Cale hasn't shown any real jealously, just disappointment occasionally. Disappointed that Keaton can't play with him yet. A few weeks ago, I put Keaton's small bathtub into Cale's bathtub so they could "take a bath together". Cale was thrilled at the idea of bathing with his little bro. But, his excitement was short-lived as Keaton screamed through the entire thing. Cale just sat there looking at him with this expression that said, "This was not exactly what I had in mind." I felt kinda sorry for the little guy.

I'm sure before we know it, they will be fighting over toys and wrestling together. A part of me can't wait for those days. But, I want to enjoy the moments we're having right now. They'll never be this little again.

No comments:

Post a Comment