The Family

The Family

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I am completely thrilled that our hot, Arkansas, summer weather is finally starting to cool off a little. I enjoy summer up until a point...usually the point tends to be Julyish; the point when you can't walk to your car without feeling the beads of sweat roll down your back, and actually getting in your car just about causes a deadly heat stroke...not to mention the sound of your hands sizzling as you touch the scalding hot steering wheel. Yes, I am glad that those days of extreme heat are hopefully over for awhile.

Cale is really enjoyable these days. He is talking constantly and says some of the funniest and unexpected things. I always tell myself I will write down some of the things he says and does, but I often find myself forgetting after a few days go by.

Lately it seems that Cale is becoming more aware of the world around him. He's entering a phase where he is actually scared of certain things. Up until recently it seemed that very little scared him. Right now, he thinks a cow is in our attic and he often talks and worries about this "cow". Now, before you start thinking Cale is extra-imaginative, the cow he is referring to is Carl. One day Carl snuck into the attic as he saw Cale and I pulling into the driveway. As we got out of the car, he began to "moo". Surpisingly this freaked Cale out and he is just certain there's a real cow in the attic and that it's going to "get him". He talks about this cow several times a day and often thinks he hears him or sees him. I think Carl just might have tramautized Cale!

We are also officially in the "no" phase. Usually the "no" is followed by "mommy", said in a most annoyed voice. "No, Mommy". It seems I can't help him do anything these days. Try to help him drink out of a real cup..."No Mommy". So the drink goes all down the front of his shirt. Try to stir the eggs instead of letting him..."No Mommy". And the runny eggs end up all over the top of the stove, instead of in the pan where they belong. Try to find the tractor video on the computer that Cale is obsessed with watching..."No Mommy" and our computer screen has some crazy error message because of all the random buttons that have been pushed. And forget trying to brush his teeth.

Who am I kidding, that kid is boss and he knows it. I pretend to be in charge but really that little dictator runs the show. When he wakes up, we all wake up...even if it's 5:30. When he's hungry, we eat. If he behaves particularly well in a certain restaurant, we eat there. If he is tired after church, we go home instead of getting a bite to eat. I he wants cartoons, our TV turns to Yo Gabba Gabba, instead of Everybody Loves Raymond, like in the old days. If he doesn't feel good, none of us feel good. If he wants to play outside, we play outside, even if it's 100 degrees out. I hate to admit it, but he is king, living the life of luxury. Hmmm, I wonder what that's like? I guess Cale has a few more months until he will have some real competition for the king's throne. I guess we'll have to get accustomed to life with two kings controlling our every move. Oh boy, lookout! :)

2 comments:

  1. I had read your blog yesterday thinking the same thing...as much as I try to be the B-O-S-S....Lake always dominates that role! It's always a battle of 'wills' at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Lori, you are in BIG trouble in about 15 years.....lol....Love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete