The Family

The Family

Thursday, March 11, 2010

One of those mornings..

Today was just one of those mornings. Mornings that make you want to stick your head under the covers and hide out all day. Mornings that make you drive to work in complete silence because even a good song can't get you out of your mood. Mornings that make you drive the entire way to work with a snarl on your face. It was definitely one of those mornings. Cale woke up at 5:45, which isn't too out of the ordinary...unfortunately. But, my little early riser woke up on the wrong side of the crib this morning. He was extra grumpy, strong-willed, and discontent the entire time we were trying to get ready. He got all my make up out and covered his pants in an array of blush, powder, and eyeshadow. So after cleaning him up, I carried (dragged is more like it) him away from the bathroom, screaming the entire way. This exact same scenario occurs at least 10 times a day right now. Ten is probably being conservative! Well, when one thing is taken away from Cale, he is exceptional at finding something even worse to get into. I walked into his room to find that, somehow, he had opened a container of vaseline and, you can imagine what that looked like. I think it's still on his hands.

After managing to get myself ready, and Cale cleaned up, it was almost time to go. Right now Cale is having to take Zyrtec for allergies, medicine for his 2nd round of thrush, and eardrops for his clogged tubes. So, it's like a doctor's office in our kitchen several times a day. The eardrops are the worst. I try to hold him down to get the drops in his ears but he's a master at maneuvering his way out and can always manage to get away, or to at least get at an angle where I can't get the drops in. By the time I had wrestled 2 drops in each ear (suppossed to be 4, but I'll settle for 2) I was about to pull my hair out. I was running late, my car was on empty, and I was in a "mood". I hurried out the door with barely a kiss or goodbye for my boys. I went to open the door to my backseat, when I remembered that my back door won't open. (Neither will my gas tank unless I jam something down into it and then lift the handle...yeah, I need a new car) So, I made a fist, hit the door (no it didn't help but it made me feel better), and threw my stuff in the front seat. As I got in my car I realized I didn't have my purse. I should've stayed home.

So, after a long, silent drive to work I slowly trudged into school with my bag, purse, lunch, coffee mug, and coffee thermos. I turned on the light, dreading what the rest of the day would bring. After unloading all my stuff as I do each morning, I noticed a small, white bag on my desk: To Mrs. Kirtley, Love, Abby. Donuts. Glazed and a chocolate covered donuts from a sweet little student in my class. That was the turning point in my day. My kids went to science first thing in the morning, so I sat and had my donut with coffee and thought about how Cale would be a teenager before I know it. I will look back and long for these baby days, crazy mornings and all. As I thought about that I realized that maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all.

And it wasn't.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lori! Thank you for the reminder! They will grow up too fast & be teenagers before we know it! I completely understand how you feel though...mornings are rough at our house, too! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete