The Family

The Family

Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's almost time to say goodbye to spring break. I've been looking forward to it for so long it seems unreal that it can be coming to an end so quickly. Overall it's been pretty uneventful. Cale is finally beginning to feel better and he's almost completely rid of his allergy eyes. My parents' kitchen table looks like a small pharmacy with all Cale's different medications and drops. He's feeling well enough that I took him to the babysitter the past 2 days. Yesterday my mom and I went to Conway to pick up a few things for the house. I ended up finally finding some bedroom furniture that was in our price range. We are getting the fever to move into our new house. It's really starting to seem like our house now. The walls are painted, the outside is almost finished, lights and ceiling fans are being installed. But, we will most likely be waiting about 6 more weeks until everything is finished.

Today I decided to take Cale to the babysitter and I actually had nothing on my agenda. This is one of the first times I have done this. I usually feel a little guilty taking him when I don't really have to. But, today I just needed a break;some time to myself. I went to the gym with my husband on his lunch break, browsed casually through Hobby Lobby (instead of the usual grab-n-go style, speed shopping I must do with Cale in the cart), went to lunch, and shopped a little more. I came home to a quiet, empty house, which was very strange. I even tried to take a nap, but my mind races too much during the day to ever sleep a wink. That's why I end up going to bed at 9:30 most nights!

The inability to nap is a curse that I'm afraid my son suffers from, too. He's always been a terrible, random napper. I drove myself crazy when he was younger, trying to get him on that wonderful, life-altering "schedule" that all the books talked about. I started out with high hopes, but my bubble was deflated early on in the game. I don't know where people find these perfect babies, who adhere to routines and schedules with just a few days of practice! No matter how routine I made things, Cale would never take regular naps. He might nap 2 hours one day, and 30 minutes the next. He might wake at 5:30 one morning and 7:00 the next (even though at that time I put him down about 7:30 each night) Don't get me wrong, he has his good days from time to time, but overall he fights sleeping with all his might. And I must say, he's pretty good at it. His eyes will look so droopy, he'll be so cranky, his head will begin to nod on the ride home. Yet, most of the time he somehow manages to stay awake; as if he'll miss out on the greatest adventure while sleeping. Right now, he takes about 1 nap every day. This would be fine if he was a little older and needed less sleep, or if his one nap was really long. But, many times, his nap is under an hour and a half, which makes for an EXTREMELY long afternoon until bedtime.

So, that's life right now. Most days from about 4:30 on, Cale is very overtird, grumpy, and ready to throw a fit in seconds. Poor little guy! But, we manage to keep him up most nights until Dada and 'Bops' get home from working on the house. It kills Carl when he doesn't get to see Cale at night so we jump through hoops trying to keep him awake and somewhat happy until the men get home. I love to see Cale's face when they come in the door.

I'm sad to see spring break go, but I'm anticipating what the next few weeks will bring. Living with my parents has been great, but we are so excited to have our own house again. I miss living near Russellville; the convenience of running to Sonic or Wal-Mart on a whim. Building a house has been a lot of work (well, I can't really say that from experience but my dad and husband have put in too many hours to count), but it's all going to be worth it in the end. Six weeks and counting...Crow Mountain here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment