The Family

The Family

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh to have the imagination of a three-year old...or the energy. Cale has finally hit the stage of pretend play. We started out the night with a pretend circus. I walked into the TV room to find every cushion and pillow off of our couch and thrown on the floor in a messy pile. Cale then informed me that it was a circus and I had to sit down and watch the show, which of course I did. Then, after applauding his efforts, he told me it was my turn. So, I gave a few sad attempts at what I called "flips" and he cheered and clapped as if I was a regular acrobat. You gotta love that child-like admiration. I'm trying to soak up every minute he loves me and thinks I'm kinda cool, because I know in a few years I will be so much less than cool to him.

After convincing Cale that we had to close the circus down, he decided he wanted to be a "baby". Being a sappy mom, I have to say I was eating this up. He crawled around on the floor and made cute little baby sounds. Then, he got the idea that to really portray a baby, he would need a diaper and a baby shirt (aka onesie). So, thinking this would be pretty funny (and maybe even bring back a few memories), I cradled him in my arms and took him to Keaton's room. He lay on the floor, much too eager to get his baby diaper put on. After squeezing into the diaper, he squeezed even harder into a onesie. With a little work, I finally got it buttoned. He looked like a 3 feet tall baby with long, skinny legs.

He was way too geeked up about being "the baby". Carl and I played along for about 10 minutes: putting Cale in Keaton's crib, rocking him, putting him in the high chair...you get the picture. But, eventually we lost interest. Much sooner than Cale did. He continued to crawl around and crying "wahhhh". Then, he came up to me and said, "Mommy, you need to change my diaper. I poo-pooed." Wishing he would give up the act already, I distractedly played along and said, "Oh no, the baby's got a dirty diaper!". But, Cale was pretty persistent. And that's when I smelled it. And then I looked. Cale, with the strangest look on his face said, "Baby pooped in his diaper." After he said it, he looked gave me an inquisitive look, as if to see how I was going to react to this news. Let's just say it wasn't cute anymore.

In disbelief, I scooped him up, regretting the baby idea ever happened. I stopped by the playroom to give the news to Carl. As I was holding a stinky, much-to-big-to-even-wear-a-diaper Cale in my arms and telling Carl what our son had done, Cale said "I'm peeing on myself right now." And he was.

Maybe we have a future actor in our house. He was willing to get his "hands dirty"...well, other areas dirty, for a role. Don't the best actors become their character?

Oh, who am I kidding, I think we just have a little boy who was looking for a chance to poop on himself and not get into trouble.

Moral of the Story:

Diapers are NOT toys.

1 comment: