The Family

The Family

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Last night Carl and I decided to take Cale to see a movie. We tried about 6-7 months ago, Toy Story 3, and ended up leaving after only fifteen minutes. We were a little nervous this time around, but Cale has been to the movies a few times with his Mammaw and has done well, so we were willing to give it a try. On the way to the movie we got a call from my sister saying that she was taking her girls to see the same movie, Hoodwinked 2. Cale was pretty excited when he found out Abree and Kenzie were going to be there. I was a little nervous up until the point the movie actually started. Cale wouldn't sit down and was being a little rowdy. But, the minute the lights dimmed, he was in a trance. I never would have believed he would sit there the way he did. His eyes almost never left the movie screen the entire movie. About halfway through he leaned over and said he wanted a snack (aka popcorn and coke) It was so cute to watch him reach his little paw in the bucket, pull a much-too-big handful of popcorn out, and shove it in his mouth...all the while his eyes never leaving the screen. As silly as it may sound, it was a monumental moment for us. Now we know that we can take Cale to a movie, he can happily sit through it, and he truly enjoys it. This is probably the first of many family movie outings for us.


Cale has been saying some silly things lately. I think he's finally to the age that he knows it gets a laugh if he says funny things. Sometimes when I ask him something, I can see the wheels turning in his mind, thinking about the perfect silly response. On the way home from the park the other night, Cale suddenly said, "Daddy, you're driving too fast. You better slow down, or a 'pop car' will get you." Then I asked him, "What will the cop say to Daddy if he pulls him over?" Cale replied in a very deep, growley voice, "I'm going to get you, Daddy!" Then, I asked Cale "What will Daddy say to the cop?" Cale quickly responded, "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin." I sure hope that's not what Daddy says if he gets pulled over.

The other morning, as Cale was sitting by Carl finishing his breakfast, he let out a rather loud poot. I said, "Cale was that you?" He said, "No, it was you Mommy." Then, he turned to Carl and said, "Mommy just pooted in her panties", to which Carl reponded with uncontrollable laughter. Feeding the fire, aren't we there, Daddy? Who knows what Cale says about us when we're not around. So, to clear things up any misconceptions you might have about us after talking with our son...Cale has developed a little habit of stretching the truth or just twisting it up completely. So, if he tells you something embarrassing about us, then you should just assume it's not true. None of it. All fiction. Even though half of it probably really happened.

The other afternoon, Cale was sitting in Carl's truck. He loves to pretend he's driving. Makes him feel so big. He spotted a pack of gum in the cup holder. He asked Carl if he could have some gum. Carl said, "One piece". Yeah right. You can't tell a toddler, "only one" and then leave the entire pack in their reach. Carl said he turned his back for about two minutes. When he looked back in the truck, Cale was sitting with nine gum wrappers lying around him. And he didn't have a huge mouthful of gum. He did what I assume most 2-year olds do...he swallowed all of it. Each and every piece. We haven't noticed any side effects of it...yet.

This post is mainly about Cale, but Keaton is very much a part of our lives too. He's beefing up and grinning like crazy right now! He smiles so much...more than Cale at this age. All you have to do is hold Keaton up, facing you, and he grins and coos. He still wants to be held...a lot. But if you're holding him and looking at him, he's pretty content. We're really starting to get attached to Keaton. We've loved him all along, but now he's finally getting some personality.

I noticed a lot of people posted about Easter and I completely forgot to. We had a really good Easter this year. Cale loved waking up to the overflowing Easter basket sitting outside his door. Sundays are always hard around here, getting everyone ready on time, avoiding meltdowns...you know how it is. Well, I was determined on Easter to not feel rushed and to actually be on time, for once. *Snort*...yeah right. So, I woke up earlier than the boys, showered, and began getting ready. I was almost completly ready before anyone else awoke. Success. But, somehow we still managed to be rushed in the end. I was really wanting to get an Easter pic of the boys before we left. Keaton spit up on his initial Easter outfit just minutes after being dressed. More like drenched. I tried to handwash it and throw it in the dryer, but who was I kidding...there wasn't enough time for all of that. So, a little disappointed, I scrounged up another outfit...outfit number two.

Just as we were about to go outside for the picture, already being a minute or two past the time in which we needed to leave, Keaton had a dirty diaper. No big deal really. I didn't panic, just headed to his room to change him. But, then as I opened his diaper I realized it wasn't just any dirty diaper, it was a blow-out. If you're not a mom and you don't know what that means, you soon will when you have one of your own. It was all over Easter outfit number two. At this point, I was beginning to hit that panic-level that I hate to reach...especially on Sunday mornings. I tried to get the oufit off of him without making a mess. Unsuccessful and nearly impossible with a onesie. So, I cleaned Keaton up, but left everything else to be cleaned up later. By this point I was a sweaty, stressed mess.

So, we ended up being about 15 minutes late for church. Grouchy, sweaty, and with no Easter picture. About halfway there I calmed down, cooled down, and realized that little things don't matter. Funny ending to the story. When we picked Keaton up from the nursery, he was no longer in Easter outfit number three. No, he was pantsless with a plain, old onesie that the nursery workers must have found in the bottom of his diaper bag. Outfit number four. Yes, another blow-out.

Welcome to our not-so-perfect life. Some days are just like that, even on Easter Sunday. And I guess I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment