The Family

The Family

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Drama

Sometimes I feel like drama follows us wherever we go. Not drama like you may be thinking. Carl and I aren't confrontational. We don't fuss or argue with others. I'm not talking about reality show-type drama. The drama I'm referring to is "baby drama". It seems like if it's not one thing, it's another. Between my two kids...one of whom is only six weeks old...I've been to the doctor way too many times to count, or admit for that matter. Our oldest had a rough start on life. We were in and out of the doctor many times during his first few weeks. The doctors finally discovered that he had pyloric stenosis, which is why he threw up every few minutes and got down to 4lb 5oz. Once he had surgery to fix his stomach, he started gaining weight and we were out of the doctor's office for awhile. Then, the ear infections began. At about 9 months of age Cale began having them. He had one or two a month until he was almost a year old. Then, he had tubes put in...just like almost every other kid in America it seems. The tubes didn't stop the infections at first. Between ear aches, several bouts with thrush, and then chronic diarrhea...we felt like we lived at the doctor's office. It was kind of embarrassing. Well, now Cale is two and I don't know if his immunity is up or if he is just tougher...but we haven't really had to take him to the doctor at all the past few months. Yes!

But, now there's kid number two. Sweet little Keaton. He's six weeks old and has already had his fair share of doctor's visits. He's a reflux baby with a milk allergy and a body rash (eczema) because of it. So, we've been on 4 different formulas and still see no results, at least no good ones. We have an appointment with the GI on April 18th. That's right, today is March 2 and they can't get us in until the 18th...of stinkin' April! So, I'm frustrated but I guess it's nobody's fault and we just have to grin and bear it.

I feel like I call the doctor's office every other day right now. For awhile it was about the reflux. Then, it was about the constipation due to a formula change. Then it was about the diarrhea due to a formula change. Well, today I had Carl call. I was just too embarrassed to call again so soon. Embarrassed because I don't want to be labeled as one of "those" moms. You know the kind. But, also embarrassed because of the issue with Keaton.

For over about two weeks now, his ear has smelled...bad. At first I felt horrible, thinking I wasn't washing behind his ears well enough. So I went to town on those bad boys. But, even with scrubbing the left ear still had a stench. Well, that infectious smell...not infectious like a cute little baby giggle is infectious. Infectious like...infection-smelling...well that smell now smells like something has crawled up into Keaton's ear and dropped dead. Yes, my sweet little innocent baby's ear smells like a dead animal. Like roadkill. There's no other way to describe it. And I would know. I grew up in the country where dead animals can always be found.

No, I didn't have the nerve to call and tell the nurse about my son's ear "situation" and ask her about how to fix it. So, I gave this one to Carl. He called this morning but still hasn't received a call back yet. He better not think he's going to get out of this one! At lunch I talked to him and he told me the nurse said, "Use some soap and water." Let me just tell you, my blood started boiling. I was just about to start giving Carl an earful about that nurse, when he told me he was just kidding, he hadn't heard anything yet. Leave it to my husband to make up a story...and then he gets frustrated when I sometimes won't believe him. I often have to remind him of the boy who cried wolf...

1 comment:

  1. Poor guy!!! I called MH today too and guess what...no returned call for me either. Lunch was fun....but next time I hope my little monkey will be better behaved. ;0

    ReplyDelete